When Surgeons Make Mistakes
When you undergo a surgical procedure, you need to trust the doctors, nurses and other medical professionals on the surgical team because you are literally putting your life in their hands.
Most of the time, surgeries are successful. Sometimes, however, a preventable surgical error causes serious injury or death to the patient.
The Medical Malpractice attorneys at Giribaldi & Manaras, P.C. handle cases for victims of many different types of surgical errors, including:
- Wrong surgery: Did you go in for an appendectomy but come out with a new hip? Sadly, it happens more frequently than we’d like to think.
- Wrong site: Did the surgeon perform the right procedure on the wrong body part?
- Anesthesia errors: Dosage errors, delay in delivery, mistakes in intubation, failure to monitor the patient and failure to recognize complications can all be deadly.
- Unsterile equipment: Infections due to unsterilized equipment put patients at risk.
- Lacerations and punctures: Nicks or punctures to organs, muscles, nerves or other internal structures may not be noticed until it’s too late.
Instruments and sponges left behind: Hospital policies call for counting them before and after the procedure, but mistakes still happen.
- Post-surgical errors: When complications are not recognized or treated in a timely way, the results can be extremely dangerous for patients.